Micro TargetingAug 21, 2022
Better late than never! Today's email is more than 12 hours late as my parents and Grandma came to visit us, so we've had a lovely day outside in the garden.
The boys are now asleep and as we wind down for the evening, I thought I'd take 20 minutes to write this email to you.
And today's topic is all about micro-targeting...
What do I mean by micro-targeting? Essentially, only targeting a very small number of targets in any one campaign.
If you've ever run campaigns targeting hundreds of keywords, ASINs or categories, you'll have witnessed Pareto's Principle first hand.
20% of your targets will be generating 80% of your sales and/or page reads.
I know I bang on about this a lot, but trust me, you'll see the best results from Amazon Ads when you are focusing your budget on the minority that are generating the majority.
Getting practical then... here's what I recommend when you're micro-targeting:
- Keywords: 10-15 per campaign (separate campaigns for each Match Type - Broad, Phrase and Exact)
- ASINs: 10-15 per campaign
- Categories: 1 per Ad Group (3 Ad Groups per campaign - more Ad Groups with bigger budgets)
The days of targeting 100's of keywords (or ASINs or categories) in a single campaign, are long gone.
Yes, these spaghetti on the wall campaigns can still work, to a degree, but your results will be disappointing, not only because there just isn't enough budget to be spread out across so many targets, but also because of relevance.
Relevance plays a bigger role in Amazon Ads than many advertisers think. So, keep every single target you test as relevant as you possibly can with micro-targeting.
To Your Success
Whenever you're ready to conquer advertising for your books, there are 4 ways I can help:
1. Jumpstart Amazon Ads → Discover the exact system I use to sell 100's of books every month with Amazon Ads, in just 60-90 minutes per week.
2. Jumpstart Facebook Ads → The exact blueprint I’ve used to go from spending $10 per day to $250+ per day on Facebook Ads with a 2-3x return on investment.
3. The Facebook Ads Monthly Templates For Authors → Your cheat code for writing Facebook Ads that sell more books, delivered directly to your inbox each month.
4. 7 Days To Author Ads Success → Brand new to advertising? My FREE 7-day course will walk you through everything you need to know to launch your first Ads in the next 7 days.
Less Time Marketing. More Books Selling. Enjoying Life.
Join 2,300+ authors receiving The Saturday Self Published Author. Every Saturday morning, you’ll get 1 actionable marketing tip to help you reach more readers and sell more books.